Friday, November 03, 2006

[Review] The Departed




I fell in love with Infernal Affairs the first time I watched it. For me, its a new and refreshing to have the idea of a mole of a mobster living within the police force. Unforgetably, with first class acting dished out by HK's finest made this a classic to be remembered and amongst the finest HK shows that have graced HK movie scene for ONE decade. Two uneventful and unnecessary spin off sequels dampens the already highly acclaimed Infernal Affairs movie but it did not deter Hollywood from engaging their own version of Infernal Affairs ... Mafia style ... well not really Mafia .. but Irish thugs.

The Departed represents a badder, meaner and more violent version of Infernal Affairs which also promises amongst the finest and brightest stars of Hollywood with Matt Dammon filling in as Andy Lau's character as a high flying cop who is also a mole for the mobster boss of the show in which Jack Nicholson did a splendid job potraying the role of a mobster [played by Eric Tsang in Infernal affairs]. And how can we forget the purpoted hero of the show Leo Di Cap who plays Tony Leung's masterly potrayal of a police undercover working under the same mobster.

I think most of you already know the storyline rite? Well I would say 98% of the show follows back the script from Infernal affairs with minor adjustments to a few unrelevant characters and also a new character has been slated for Martin Sheen and Mark Walhberg.

Review:
As I said earlier, The Departed is just plain Infernal Affairs -> US style, simply badder, meaner and more violent. Unlike Infernal Affairs, The Departed is more physical and brutal and no hold barred. And of course 4 letter words flies here and there. Personally for me, the only enjoyment I found watching this show is to relate back to Infernal Affairs. I gotta say I am not too impressed with Martin Scorsese tis time.
As for acting, kudos to the ONE and ONLY Jack Nicholson for his ultra potrayal of the Costello the mobster. His trademark facial expression has always made him amongst the finest in Hollywood. Let me put it this way, this show was supposed to be Dammons and Caprio's .. but somehow Jack's acting simply blew the others away .... and I really mean blew them away like an F5 tornado.

In a nutshell:
I will watch it again in my PC ["when the original version comes out"] because watching in cinema the censoring of the show made me feel uncomfy and at times confused coz the conversation suddenly stops. So by watching in my PC I can hopefully grasp the entire movie ...
The feeling is like to watch a movie based on a book ala Da Vinci Code where u compare the movie against the book. This time is to compare a Hollywood made movie against a HK classic ... same feeling just different experience.

No comments: