Saturday, November 11, 2006

My tribute to my Alma Mater


( Founded in 1899 )

School ... a definite pathways for most of us if not all. Sweet and fond memories beckons and now I have left school [University Malaya] for good 4 years now. In my schooling life, I have been enrolled into different schools:

i) SRK Saint Paul - primary school
ii) SMK Saint Paul - Form 1 - early Form4
iv) SMK Teknik Tuanku Ja'afar - Form4 - Form5 studying Civil Engineering
v) S
MK King George V - Form 6
vi) Malaya
University - Computer Science

I can single out my time in Saint Pauls Instituition as the most memorable and cherished. Those thug fighting times, class ponteng times, study times, scratch teacher car times and yes,"flirting with those Convent gals times" has never faded and still vividly lives in my ultra-GazillionByte memory.


A school of old traditions, we called ourselves Paulians and as a self-professed True Blue Paulian I am proud to live my teenage days with my Alma-Mater . We used to have a spirited shout of "Whos The Best ?" and echoed with proudful roars of "SAINT PAULS !!!!!". My particular favorite are times when we manifest our love to our Alma Mater whilst singing our School Rally. But the highest of "highs" is when we sing our Victory March ! a spirited rendition of a song which carries the TRUE BLUE Paulian spirit to battle.















What is so unique about Saint Paul's ? Well just the Paulian SPIRIT and its tradition alone is unique so to speak. Roars of "Saint Pauls The Best Of The Best" was never alien to us and our love to our Alma Mater has always been deep burrowed into our heart.

Serving Brothers Directors:
Highest Row From Left: Bro.Isidore (1909), Bro. Basilian (1910-1914), Bro. Adrian(1914-1921),
Bro. Lewis Edward( 1921-1930) , Bro. Dominic (1928-1930)
Second Row From Left: Bro. Barnitus (1930-1931), Bro. John (1933), Bro. Joseph (1933-1939), Bro. Anselm (1939-1941), Bro.Henry (1941-1946)

Final Row From Left: Bro. Lawrence (1947-1953), Bro. Chronan (1953), Bro. Casimir (1954-1959),
Bro.Celestine (1960-1963), Bro. Thomas (1963-1969), Bro. Felix (1970-1975),
Bro. James (1975- 1991)


Note: Brother James Macken served as the longest Brother Director of Saint Pauls Instituition building an era of unprecendented success

Saint Pauls has their classes and sport houses name after their serving Brothers. While other schools names their classes Science 1 or Kebaya1, we Saint Pauls has the classes named after our serving Brother directors.
In alphabetical order are Anselm,Basillian,Casimir,Dominic,F
elix,Henry,Isidore,James,Lawrence,Thomas.



If class naming is not enough, try matching our Sport Houses as well ... we are too much into those unclassy Rumah Merah,Biru,Hijau,Kuning but Saint Pauls again with their past Brother Director has Adrian[Yellow], Barnitus[Red],Edward[Green],John[Blue],Director[Grey] and Paul[Purple] as the names of our sport houses. Now try beating tat for unique and meaningful naming for classes and sport houses. A symbol of class, history and uniqueness which also defines Saint Paul's Instituition.



Well as what people say,
you dont proclaim yourself to be famous unless you are in Wikipedia, and guess what? Whilst I was searching somethign on Wikipedia, I somehow got this urge to search for my Alma Mater and GOD the search result is SPOT ON and for the next hour or so, I was back in memory lane.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Paul%27s_Institution%2C_Seremban

Eventually I was also brought to Old Paulians Association (OPA) and came to the knowledge that for a Semi-Government school-English medium-Christian based school, we were offered the "Sekolah Bistari" status. Now what are the odds of that happening ? And heard that finally we were to have our own school hall !

My apologies to my Alma Mater again because of my poor command of English here though enrolled into such prestigious English School, my command of English has not been up to YOUR expectation.

The Great Alma Mater of mine reached its Centernarian earlier than Manchester United or Real Madrid and the tradition has never faded and hopefully will stay intact for centuries to come.








Hail Alma Mater ! , Hail John Baptist De La Salle !!!

And my tribute to the following teachers who made an impact in my life:
Mr Chang Yok Son[Form2 Science Teacher],Mrs Wong Tee Soon [my Form 1 form teacher], Miss Wong Lai Kwan [ Form 3 Science Teacher], Puan Khor Yul Lin[Form3 History Teacher],Puan Velayuthan[Form2 Geo teacher], Mr James Wong[Form3 Form teacher], Puan Ng Yen Yen [Form3 M3 teacher], Cik Koh Seow Pen[the pretty and sporting teacher] and Mr Jakob [the discipline teacher who always "hentam" me]

Not to forget Mr Lam [My Form6 Maths teacher in KGV, he is the biggest role model]

No comments: