Sunday, May 13, 2007

To Wii or Not to Wii ?



A proud owner of a PS2 console, I gotta admit that I am a self professed Playstation fanatic and without a doubt I very much fancy the latest addition of Playstation console which is PS3. The reason is pretty simple, the raw power contained within the monster itself will simply blow away the competitors and at the same time the likes of game titles such as Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII, Devil May Cry , Gran Turismo are simply a handful of gamers must have series to play.


Unfortunately, PS3 got off to a rather dissapointing start. Being pested with delays as well as the low amount of gaming titles currently, PS3 certainly wouldnt hope to be in a position they are in today. However, I am quite confident when more game titles starts to grace the PS3 console especially those must play titles which surely will make gamers yearn for more of PS3 in the future . PS3 is still abit too on the higher spectrum in terms of pricing. But then again, its still a fair price for a machine which packs the best of gaming technology all in one sleek box.






However this article is not about my aspirations on PS3, instead I am more interested in talking about the newest in gaming innovation ... Nintendo Wii. Recently I was given the pleasure to have a brief sight of the console which is taking the whole gaming world by storm. Looks like good old Nintendo is not gonna throw in the towel losing the console war to Sony and XBox ( Nintendo Dreamcast dint really fared well against them). The new Wii is touted as the console which will change the way gaming experience will be .... forever ??. Instead of the old button bashing way of experiencing your video gaming console ... Wii tends to be different with their very own Wii Remote - a remote sensing joystick which sense and translates the movement of your movement into the game you played. (Means you just wield your joystick whence you play tennis instead of just button bashing). Not that I am new to the hypes around but reading it on the internet is not the same as experiencing it by yourself and I got to admit ... it is a whole new gaming experience ...

My first game is Tennis under the Wii Sports title belt. A first taste of the game instantly proved why Wii was an instant hit ! I just swing the joystick around and in no time ... I am Roger Federrer. ( At the end of the day, I am officially the best Wii Tennis champ amongst those who played that day having clipped off Calvin 2-1). Wii does offer quite a number of titles such as NFS: Carbon and I gotta admit the experience is pretty different compared to mine of PS2. At the end of the day, I concur that Wii did what it was supposed to do ... bring the gaming world a totally new gaming experience... and it did not dissapoint.

Having said that, I do have some reservation on Wii ... Though the likes of Wii Sport is very interesting the first few tries, in no time you will find it to be abit boring because the gameplay is rather monotonous. Maybe the likes of EA Sports can come with a more commendable title. Another aspect which I find a little intrigued is that though Wii remote joystick might be an instant hit, it might not be an instant hit but then again it might not suit for a games especially the likes of Street Fighter, KOF etc. (Maybe Nintendo and the game publishers has some thoughts workin out as I wrote this blog).

The BIG question ... will I be getting Wii thus the title of this posting ... to be frank ... I am very much tempted to but then again at this point of time I am still very much towards PS3 because I am more of a gamer whcih prefers game titles and I will regret if I missed the opportunity to gaze thru the likes of Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy titles at least. But then, at 1.5K it will still be a good idea for me to get one whislt waiting for my ultimate gaming console.

No comments: